Thursday, September 6, 2012

Bergdorf Goodman...Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorfs!



Fashion Week is upon us, effectively in full swing!  To celebrate the adventure along with the 111th. Anniversary of the famed duchess of Fifth Avenue - enjoy Sara James Mnoonkins book 'Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman' with foreword by Holly Brubach.


"When my So80's book came out, Bergdorf wanted to throw a party.  But I said, "It's got to be a big party.  Like a party from the eighties.  And I want it on the Main floor.  Which they never do, but they made an exception for me.  People were dancing.  A couple of people were smoking things they should'nt have been smoking. And I do remember, there were a two people actually...making love, for want of a better word behind the counters.  Somebody said, "this is a first, even for us".  I consider that party a success". -- Patrick McMulln, Photographer

It is full of info, hysterical celebrity anecdotes and quips.  Did you know... 'Bergie's (which I call it), is where Grace Kelly ordered her wedding invitations? Where Halston, Michael Kors and Isaac Mizrahi started in the biz?

"Sometimes people make fun of the lady who lunches, but, frankly, that's our customer.  That's the girl I like.  She's dressed.  She looks great.  She's got on her heels.  She's out ordering a teeny little salad.  There are definitely a lot of ladies who go to Bergdorf, but it doesn't mean that it's such a rarified place to eat.  It's just a place to go where you feel like you're going to see some high fashion.  I so appreciate that over someone who is always in sweats or jeans, who doesn't feel like they need to make an effort and put on something fun for the day".  --- Lela Rose, Designer



Where else can you find the very, very best of Oscar de la Renta, Michael Kors, Peter Som, Chado Ralph Rucci, Marchesa, J.Mendel - and hundreds more all under one roof! THAT close to Central Park?


Happy Birthday Bergdorfs! Thank you for the memories, and for being the best retail therapy ever and your most incredible windows.  You are better than therapy! 

"It's so much more fun being on heels with a friend, than laying on a strangers couch!" -- Hautezone


Excerpts and images from 'Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorf Goodman'
by Sara James Mnookin
Harper Design

No comments: